Saturday, March 17, 2007

March 17th (8 miles)

Happy St. Patty's Day folks. Remember to get your run on before you get your drink on. Running and drinking combined to not make a good match. Repeat: do not make a good match.

I started out the day at Griffith Park playing soccer with the rest of the ladies on "Just for Kicks." This is our first season together and we're not fairing too well. I think we'll get better once we play together more and once we get some subs. I was terrible today. You could tell I hadn't touched a ball in a few weeks. But the rest of the ladies looked great. We lost 2-0 to the first place team. Considering we don't have a goal keeper, I think we do really well. Hopefully when we find time to practice we'll improve.

After soccer, I came home and ate like I'd never eaten before. That's not true. If you know me you know that half of my waking hours are devoted to eating or thinking about what to eat. Hmmm, I wonder what I have in the fridge.

After refueling, I hopped on my bike and pedaled up to the gym. Gas prices are ridiculous. Even more ridiculous than when I left two weeks ago. If I want to be able to take a road trip this summer, I'm going to need to put some serious miles on the bike to save money. Or sell some organs. Anyone need one? Take your pick. Anything, but the kidneys. Those are on hold.

At the gym, I pumped out 8 miles at 6.5 mph. I think I'm ready for this 12 mile run tomorrow. I'm a little nervous. It feels almost like a blind date. I'm afraid that I'll show up and I won't be what the guys are expecting. It'll be fine, just some jitters.

Oh well, I'm off on my bike again. St. Patty's Day, here I come. Note: Drunken bike riding is also not encouraged. It's Bad News Bears.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running and drinking is the sole reason I had to stop at 25K instead of 50 today. I wish I had seen your post earlier...

Hollywood said...

Running and drinking is only a good idea if catching pigs is somehow involved. It's even better if those pigs are imaginary.

Tiffany said...

OMG I love your posts. Running and drinking are only acceptable if you are hashing... and that's a whole 'nother story!

Another bad idea was me drinking 47 beers last night to celebrate my 10K PR yesterday morning... I think I just un-did all the effects of running. Oh well. Guiness is so tasty on St. Pattys.

I loved your comment about the blind date and the run.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, my next race is the Hog's Hunt. I think it calls for moonshine in my water bottle.

Hollywood said...

Tiffany, I'd never heard about hashing until I ran into a couple in Sequoia NP who did it. I could maybe to Red Bull's and vodka (for the energy of course) but running with a stomach full of beer. Let's just say it would be coming out of both ends.

Today on my Wild Miles run we talked about drinking and running. We were discussing how there's a specific rule in Wild Miles that you CANNOT drink during the race. This is a 180+ mile race, who's drinking during that? Needless to say, I would like to meet the team that made them put that rule in the fine print. All I can picture is a keg in the back of a van. Reminds me of high school, sigh.

Wait, wait, wait. Curtis, you're going to say Hog Hunt and leave it at that? Unfair. If you catch the hog can you fry it up and make bacon. Mmmmmm, bacon.