Friday, March 16, 2007

Have running shoes, will travel.

During the winter of 2003, I got stuck in the Cincinatti airport for three days due to blizzard conditions. I kept busy by walking up and down the terminal, etc. I was amazed when I saw a gentleman running the terminals. Amazed and jealous. I foolishly packed my running shoes in my suitcase. It wouldn't have mattered much if I had them though cause I still wouldn't have had sports bras, a shower or a companion to watch my things.

During my ridiculously long layover yesterday I couldn't help but wish I had my running shoes. First off, I was in a Dallas, a city I've never been to, and it would have been nice to explore. Second, it would have been a nice way to kill time.

However, even if I had my running shoes, I still wouldn't have had anyone to watch my things. Few airports allow you to check your bags with them anymore and even fewer have lockers.

I was wondering if anyone knows any secrets to getting a quick run in on a layover. If so, do share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seldom fly, myself, but perhaps you could use a small adventure racing type pack for your carry-on luggage?

Anonymous said...

Buy a day-pass to the airline's club room. You can leave your bag there and head out. Granted, your bag isn't secured in a locker, and the club "doesn't take responsibility" for it, but I've done it several times when I wanted to go explore the terminal. The rooms are attended, and several have showers. Rates are usually about $50 or less for a day pass.